Southern Home Inspection Services – Your dream of selling your home is now becoming a reality as you and a buyer finally agreed on a price. The final details commence and one of those is a home inspection by the buyer. Because a home purchase is a crucial time for buyers, most of them hire professionals to look around the home before finally closing the deal.
Great news! You don’t need to panic. Just follow this Home Inspections Atlanta GA checklist for sellers so you don’t get caught off guard with unexpected costs.
- Do your own inspection and walkthrough. Sometimes, you just can’t rely on what’s visible. Take note of the smells and sounds too that can possibly raise questions. Remember, any item that poses an issue or defect will be further investigated by the home inspector. Musty smell, wet spot on the ceiling, or even a previously molded wall can warrant an additional examination. You may also want to check the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. It pays to check everything thoroughly to ensure that everything is in good working condition.
- Work on some minor repairs. If you find some defects that could use some repair, try to perform them on your own. They can be as simple as replacing dead lightbulbs, patching nail holes in the wall or testing light fixtures. Any simple projects or repairs that you are capable of doing yourself.
- Provide easy access to your home. Whether you will be around during the inspection or not, make sure to provide easy access for the inspector. The home inspector will look through all parts of the home including the attic, garage, and basement. Make sure to remove any objects away from the wall. Unlock the rooms, the attic, and provide a clear path through your basement. This way, the home inspector can thoroughly examine your home’s foundation. If you have pets, put them elsewhere around the time of inspection so as not to create a distraction while the inspector is at work.
- Check the appliances. Make sure to run all your major appliances and see how they are working. Everything should work as it should. However, if you decide to replace or repair anything, do so before the home inspection appointment.
- Prepare all documents. This is another important part of your list that you should be able to jot down. Gather all your receipts, warranties, and other documentation. Place them in a folder so all warranty and maintenance information are intact. The home inspector may want to check when was the last chimney clean up or the last time the HVAC system was checked. Also, make sure to include in this folder receipts that show the age of your appliances.
- Check your plumbing system. In most cases, a running toilet may just be caused by a bad seal. This can be fixed by replacing a new flapper prior to the home inspection appointment. Small issues like this can be fixed right away.
- Check for mold and mildew. Even a small hint of mold and mildew can turn off a report, let alone the buyer. Check for any signs of mold and mildew buildup in damp areas such as the bathroom and basement. Caulk these areas if needed.
- Make sure to change the air conditioning and heater filters. Aside from altering your heater or air conditioner’s performance, a clogged HVAC filter is actually pretty bad for your health. Change the filters before the inspector examines this system.
- Last but not least, turn on the utilities. Make sure the water and power are turned on. Any obstruction to the inspection may call for rescheduling. This can waste time and ultimately delay the sale. Remember, the home inspector will check all systems including electrical and plumbing.
As a seller, remind yourself that a home inspection is never a pass/fail examination. It simply describes the current overall condition of the home you are trying to sell.
So You Don’t Get STUCK With A Bunch Of Unpleasant Surprises Once You Move Into The Home! We provide you with the ‘information’ you need to make an informed decision about the property being inspected in a Clear, Concise and Professional Manner. We deliver a detailed, electronic report to all customers following the inspection. Book your Home Inspections Atlanta GA Today!
If you need to schedule an inspection for the same day or next morning, please call our office (678) 279-5796 and speak with one of our Customer Care Coordinators.